Friday, July 11, 2008

jammin'

summer fruit is here, and with it the lovely task of making jam. it's been years since i have actually done such a thing (doubly evidenced by the fact i can't find my canning kettle or jar lifter...), but the beautiful apricots our friend doug let us pick last weekend ripened almost overnight and it was time. one double batch made seven twelve ounce jewel-like jars. (one didn't fit in my make-shift canning kettle without the risk of overflow, so the seventh isn't pictured here...it was in my refrigerator!!) by the way, the sake in the background isn't an ingredient, but doesn't it look great alongside?i tried some this morning (the jam, not the sake) on the pancakes that amira insisted we have for breakfast, and it was yummy, if a bit stiff. i think i may have mis-measured the pectin, put in half again as much as it called for, thinking i had only put in enough for a single recipe. in today's batch i will try to include the inside of the pits, as alan's mother used to do. there are some schools of thought about this that think it is dangerous, due to the cyanide content (!) inside the pits....but it is a time-honored tradition, and the other, opposing school of thought is that it may possibly be beneficial, adds a unique flavor to the jam, and the amount used is the key to the safety of the finished product. we shall see.... any taste testers volunteering?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Karen, It's so great to find your blogspot(thank you & your mom for forwarding it to me)! Believe it or not, I've been corresponding with a student of mine, Ali Morse, this past week. She gave her high school senior recital last month, and she and a another friend who just graduated, are on a European tour for their graduation gifts before going to college in the fall!! it's been fun hearing about their adventures, in Spain & recently in France! So I set up an adress with google, so now I can receive your news & correspond with you, too!!!(Sandy.Auriol@gmail.com) Now I am alresdy set with my account.Thanks for all the photos - it's so great to see you and Amira, and I'm just on my way into town to get some more photo paper for my printer, so I can make copies of these! Bernard just forwarded photos of our grand-daughter Laura(from her vacation in Guadalupe recently) and the pictures turned out so well! I also made copies of the fabulous photos of Jon & Gretchen on their recent trip!
Your jam pictures are equally lovely, they would be a nice cover for a "Gourmet" or "Bon Appetit" magazine! And of course I always enjoy photos of Amira - she's so photogenic.
The only news I have is that Leon and I are going on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera the last week of August! We traded a time-share week, and are booked on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines for a 7 day cruise to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta as the 3 ports-of-call, and the other 4 days cruising the Pacific! I can hardly wait; as you know, I really enjoy a "hotel room on board".
Well, I'll sign off for now. Take good care of yourselves & each other, and I'll continue to visit your blogspot.
Lots of love from your Aunt Sandy

Unknown said...

P.S. from Sandy; Gosh, Karen, I just realized that you are using Mom's earthenware pitcher for your utensils!! It also looks good with the photos of your freshly canned jam! Wow, that really reminds me of when I was in junior high, and I was making jam, pies, brownies, cakes, etc. in the the summer when Mom and Dad were at the shop!!And it also brings back memories of picking and packing cherries, and making lots or cobbler & other desserts for the family!! So thanks again for the wonderful memories!!!! Hugs from Sandy

woolydaisy said...

your blog is looking so great-so does that jam-what beautiful apricots!!!!

and yes there is an "A."

i love the outlander series too!